SCREEN-L Archives

January 1998, Week 1

From:
Barbara Bernstein <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 6 Jan 1998 21:09:44 -0800
Busby Berkeley's "Babes on Broadway" has an elaborate minstrel number, with
Judy Garland in blackface.  The "Mandy" number in "White Christmas" (15
years later, and no blackface) is a much-degraded tribute to minstrel forms
(the song's bridge is all about "Mr. Bones.")  And you might take a look at
"The Jolson Story" which, I believe, has a scene showing the young Al
performing with Lew Dockstader's minstrels.  All three are available on video.

Interesting query.  Eager to read other responses.

Barbara Bernstein

At 07:21 PM 1/6/98 -0800, you wrote:
>Hello,
>
>I'm trying to find information on movies that contain minstrel
>show scenes (not just blackface, but recreations of the 19th century style
>minstrel show).  I'd especially like to know if any knows of such scenes
>in movies that are available on video.
>
>Any help will be much appreciated.
>
>Thanks very much,
>
>Charlie Krinsky
>
>----
>Screen-L is sponsored by the Telecommunication & Film Dept., the
>University of Alabama.

Barbara Bernstein                       San Francisco, CA
[log in to unmask]                     http://www.kinexis.com

http://www.tcf.ua.edu/screensite