SCREEN-L Archives

January 2000, Week 4

From:
Shashwati Talukdar <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 22 Jan 2000 16:44:31 -0500
In India there are several actors and screenwriters who have become
politicians after a lucrative career in cinema, i am thinking of the
present chief-minister of Tamil Nadu, Jayalalitha (brought down the govt.
by withdrawing support), the previos CM MG Ramachandran, and his rival (his
name escapes me) who was a screenwriter, Mani Ratnam has a film about all
these events called "The Duo," Then there was Amitabh Bacchan, a mega-star
who became a member of Parliament, and so on. There is a some literature
about these connections, specifically, I remember an article from Screen (I
think).

However, I don't think any of these people are in the category of Adachi,
whose political career is very different from the career politicians I am
enumerating.

Shashwati

Shashwati Talukdar
Ph: (917) 243-7522