SCREEN-L Archives

January 1996, Week 5

From:
"Randy A. Riddle" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Tue, 30 Jan 1996 18:38:48 +0000
I have a bit of trouble as well with the idea of having to pay $10
just to have my video considered by a distributor or group of
distributors.  Add that to $20 here, $100 there, $50 another place
for entry into every little festival out there and it adds up.

It's amazed me at the media coverage that Sundance is suddenly
getting this year in the non film-related media (ie, TV network news
reports and USA Today).  It seems that what was originally intended
as a showcase for indepedents has turned into yet another way for
large distributors and studios to look for the "next big thing".

Thanks, but I think I'll stick to trying to reach my audience
directly and doing my own distribution.  Sure, I hate duping and
packing tapes as much as anybody, but at least I can tackle subjects
in ways that might be difficult for a "mainstream" audience.  Hey,
I'm not going to make a million like this, but how many filmmakers
out there "hit the big time" or even get to continue doing what they
love to do in the long run?

RAND

> Nevertheless... Best of luck.  But not returning the tapes... That is a bid
> rough on the film makers.
Randy A. Riddle, Winston-Salem, NC
[log in to unmask] -- http://www.infi.net/~rriddle