SCREEN-L Archives

August 1995, Week 3

From:
liz weis <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 16 Aug 1995 18:14:58 EDT
The question of whether a film exploits violence or ex;plores the nature
of violence is also raised by Clint Eastwood's "Unforgiven," which was
seen as a critique by the nation's critics (which all gave it Best
Picture awards) and an offense by others (including my mother).  Bonnie
and Clyde is another test case which shifted public opinion and looks
different in retrospect to those who found it offensive in 1967.  I'm
afraid that what the film-educated public sees as a comment on violence
is often taken and enjoyed as straight violence--that goes for "A Clockwork
Orange" as film but not as novel, judging from the responses of
beginning students.  liz weis cuny