SCREEN-L Archives

October 1993

From:
Mark Ritchie <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 28 Oct 1993 14:57:58 EDT
In a recent deposit to the university archives were some 72 films (16mm)
dating from the early 1920s through to the late 1940s.  Most of these
films were of the "home movie" type but a few were films that the family
had purchased.  Some were newsreels, With Allenby in Palestine was one,
and some were entertainment titles.  Among these were two dating from
the 1920s, CHIP IN THE LAND OF WHIZ and CHIP IN THE LAND OF THE WOODEN
SOLDIERS.  There are no production credits on the films which are silent
with english intertitles.  The animation technique is stop-action using
a mixture of plasticine for some characters, simple pipe cleaner joints
on Chip (a rather stylized character, primitive compared to the others)
and wooden toys for others.
It was suggested that they might be by James A. Fitz-Patrick who did 7
films in 1915-1916 with a character named Chip, but I haven't been able
to find anything on him nor can I be sure that his films were indeed
animated.

Any suggestions about where I go from here?

Mark Ritchie                   | Tel: (519) 888-4070
Media Librarian                | Fax: (519) 888-6197
Audio-Visual Centre            |
University of Waterloo         | Internet: [log in to unmask]

"I was just out of college and still believed in
classifications and catagories" -  Jean Renoir