SCREEN-L Archives

January 1994

From:
"Paula C. Mabry" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 21 Jan 1994 17:59:43 -0600
Recently I showed DRIVING MISS DAISY to several classes of drama
students in a public school in Mississippi. We drew parallels
of prejudice that took place during the time span of the play/movie.
It was important for all my students of whatever heritage to realize
the dangers and heartaches which were present for many people then.
The redeeming quality of the play/film was that Hoke and Daisy
became friends.  The friendship lasted.

No, most Mississippians don't enjoy seeing the past and the things
which happened.  As an educator, I do think it is my goal to show
the past, however painful, in the hope that we might understand
the people who lived then.  And I also believe that we have and
will continue to learn from our past.