SCREEN-L Archives

May 1995, Week 5

From:
Donald Larsson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 29 May 1995 13:29:13 -0600
Al Scudiero writes:
"I took a wild guess and suggested that Kane was simply "an incomplete man"
being his life was centered around money, and the mirrors reflected his
fragmentation and his narcisicism. She said I was wrong."

Hey, you were right!  Or at least it sounds Ok to me.

But what I think your teacher might have been wanting you to psychically absorb
from her presence was that the endless reflections are rather like the endless
versions of Kane's life we get from the different interviewees.  Is the "real"
Kane in the mirror the one on the left, right, center?  Is it Leland's Kane,
Bernstein's?  Thatcher's?

That, I think, is the Standard Explanation, but it also is cookie-cutter crit.
that delimits conversation and "trespasses" on the movie in a way that it
warns us not to!  Or to paraphrase, "I don't think any image can explain
a man's film."

Don Larsson, Mankato State U (MN)