SCREEN-L Archives

February 1998, Week 2

Sender:
From:
Filmmuseum <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 11 Feb 1998 05:45:08 -0500
The first version of Baum's THE WIZARD OF OZ (1909?), based on his own
stage play, was preserved at George Eastman House, Rochester, N.Y., in
1986, during my tenure as Senior Curator of Film.

THE SCARECROW OF OZ (1914?) has been preserved at Library of Congress.

The Larry Semon film of THE WIZARD OF OZ is also preserved at George
Eastman House, as is the 1939 version.

Most of the films produced by Frank Baum himself no longer survivive in any
form (along with 95% of all silent films), despite intensive searches by
film preservationists.

Don't quote me on exact dates, since I'm writing this note from memory, but
you can ask the respective institutions for exact information.

Jan-Christopher  Horak
Director
Munich Filmmuseum

University of Alabama.