SCREEN-L Archives

March 2010, Week 2

Date:
Sun, 7 Mar 2010 18:17:56 -0600
Greetings,

We want to let you know that the new issue of Flow: A Critical Forum on
Television and Media Culture is available at http://flowtv.org.

Every few years, Flow?s editors select our favorite columns of the
last few volumes. We?ve added special introductions and author addenda
to these important pieces. Enjoy!

This issue features columns from Jeffrey Sconce, Michael Z. Newman,
Lisa Parks, Vanessa Au and Michael Kackman.

This issue's columns in brief:

"Flow Favorites: A Specter is Haunting Television Studies" by Jeffrey
Sconce (http://flowtv.org/?p=4838)
By raising the specter of "dead white men" theorists and their
applicability to the 2008 Economic Meltdown, Jefferey Sconce provoked
one of the most highly-charged debates on Flow in some time.

"Flow Favorites: The Bronze Fonz" by Michael Z. Newman
(http://flowtv.org/?p=4840)
Michael Z. Newman?s "The Bronze Fonz" explores not only the
relationship between art and popular culture, but between cultural
memory and urban space.

"Flow Favorites: Digg, Flickr, and the Colonizing of Bridging Texts"
by Vanessa Au (http://flowtv.org/?p=4834)
Discourse around the author?s image on Digg and Flickr highlight the
fact that social media are shot through with race and gender codes.

"Flow Favorites: Around the Antenna Tree" by Lisa Parks
(http://flowtv.org/?p=4839)
Lisa Parks' article revisits the infrastructure of communications
media and examines the stakes of devices masked as "nature."

"Flow Favorites: Quality Television, Melodrama, and Cultural
Complexity" by Michael Kackman (http://flowtv.org/?p=4836)
This piece sparked a vigorous discussion within the television studies
community with its call to think more rigorously about why, exactly,
we are drawn to aesthetically and narratively complex TV.

Interested in supporting Flow? Click HERE (http://flowtv.org/?page_id=2143).

FlowTV is now on Twitter! Follow Flow's Twitter page at:
http://twitter.com/flowtv
FlowTV is also on Facebook! Get updates on your news feed by becoming
a fan: www.facebook.com/FlowTV

We look forward to your visit and encourage your comments.

Best wishes,

Flow Editorial Staff

http://www.ScreenSite.org