SCREEN-L Archives

February 1996, Week 1

Sender:
From:
Derek Kompare <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 4 Feb 1996 15:39:46 -0600
>"NewsRadio" have survived its first year well, it seems. But what are the
>links to Saturday Night Live? And why radio on TV? "Frasier" began running
>here four weeks ago. Is this two exeptions, or part of a trend; "Media
>portrayed in Media"?

Media portrayed in media is hardly a "new" phenomenon in US broadcasting.
In addition to NewsRadio and Frasier, Think of The Dick Van Dyke Show, The
Mary Tyler Moore Show, Lou Grant, Newhart, WKRP In Cincinatti and others.
As for radio on TV, I assume that it's just a different "spin" on the
established premise of these shows.  One could say it's an attempt to tie in
to the huge growth of talk radio shows over the last decade, but this aspect
is marginal in both series (just the opening sequence in Frasier, and
practically nothing in NewsRadio).  In fact, NewsRadio could be set in *any*
workplace, as their particular setting (a New York news radio station)
rarely affects the episodes' plotlines.

I don't know about direct creative connections with SNL.  However, it does
feature one SNL alum, Phil Hartman, as well as a former Kid In The Hall,
Dave Foley.

>The last show is "Partners" from Universal. So far little of interest to
>find, exept the promise for a future home-page.

I've never seen it, but Partners (Fox) is apparently the best of the spate
of Friends knockoffs aimed at young adults.  Same producers as Friends, I
believe.

I'm not enough of a netizen to help you on your other questions, but I hope
this at least gives you a bit of a background.  Good luck!  Enjoy the
weather while you're out there!!!

--  DK

"So shines a good deed in a weary world."  -- Willy Wonka