SCREEN-L Archives

November 2006, Week 5

From:
"Larsson, Donald F" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 29 Nov 2006 13:59:05 -0600
There were several examples just last year. Michael Haneke's CACHE,
which was submitted by Austria for the Foreign Film Oscar was ruled out
because most of the dialogue is in French.  A similar problem occurred
for MARIA FULL OF GRACE because too much of the dialogue was in English,
as was Singapore's BE WITH ME.  There was also controversy over how the
submitting entity would be designated for the Palestinian film PARADISE
NOW.  There is some dispute about whether the 2002 Palestinian film
DIVINE INTERVENTION was disqualified on grounds of nationality.  THE
MOTORCYCLE DIARIES also was disqualified because its production was too
international.  The Italian film PRIVATE was rejected by the Academy
because there was no Italian dialogue.

In the past, there have been other examples.  Kieslowski's RED could not
win Academy vetting because it was shot in Switzerland with a Polish
director and French actors.  That's globalism for you!  (Maybe there
should be at least a "European Community" category.)

The Uruguayan film was (as far as I know) the only one to have been
pulled after it had made the list of official nominees.  Of course, none
of this includes films that were never nominated by a country for
various reasons (politics being just one notable example).

Don Larsson
"Nothing is ever the same as they said it was.  It's what I've never
seen before that I recognize."  --Diane Arbus

Donald F. Larsson
Department of English
Armstrong Hall 230
Minnesota State University