SCREEN-L Archives

June 2000, Week 2

From:
Robert Kolker <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 8 Jun 2000 18:29:31 -0400
Jeremy,
         Take a short moving image clip--an AVI file--of the image you
want. Open it in Premiere, and choose "export as frame." Premiere will
choose one frame for you at the ratio originally captured. Or, you can try
taking the the still frame into Photoshop and see if you can crop it
correctly there.

Good luck--this stuff is always so much fun!

Bob Kolker

At 12:00 AM 6/8/00 -0500, you wrote:
>There are 3 messages totalling 89 lines in this issue.
>
>Topics of the day:
>
>   1. Looking to rent Black-themed films, 1960s-'70s
>   2. Video Capture and Aspect Ratio
>   3. Magic Lantern & Cinema
>
>----
>Online resources for film/TV studies may be found at ScreenSite
>http://www.tcf.ua.edu/ScreenSite

>Date:    Wed, 7 Jun 2000 10:51:28 +0300
>From:    Nezih Erdogan <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: Re: Looking to rent Black-themed films, 1960s-'70s
>
>If you intend to publish your captured images you must be careful about
>resolution: no less than 300 dpi I think. Many image processing
>softwares are set to 72 dpi as default. So you may have to change the
>settings before you start.
>
>good luck
>nezih
>
>------------------------------
>
>Date:    Wed, 7 Jun 2000 08:03:46 -0500
>From:    Jeremy Butler <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: Video Capture and Aspect Ratio
>
>Since aspect ratios have often been a hot topic on Screen-L and since frame
>grabs were recently mentioned, I thought I'd bring the two threads together
>with this query:
>
>Has anyone had trouble getting a true 4:3 (1.33:1) aspect ratio when doing
>digital frame grabs from VHS video?
>
>I recently installed a Matrox G400-TV tuner and video capture card in my
>PC.  It'll capture MOTION video at the standard screen sizes of 320x240 and
>640x480, which are precisely 1.33-to-1 aspect ratios.
>
>However, when I use Matrox's "Video Snapshot" software to do STILL
>captures, I get frames not quite 1.33 and it's annoying the heck out of
>me.  Instead of 1.33, each "snapshot" is the oddball size of 688x470 pixels
>or 1.46 to 1.
>
>I'm using this system to create images for the new edition of <shameless
>plug> TELEVISION: CRITICAL METHODS AND APPLICATIONS and I need the precise
>aspect ratio or the frames won't appear correctly.
>
>Any suggestions?
>
>----
>Jeremy Butler
>ScreenSite http://www.tcf.ua.edu/ScreenSite
>Telecommunication & Film/University of Alabama/Tuscaloosa
>
>------------------------------
>
>Date:    Wed, 7 Jun 2000 09:31:46 -0400
>From:    Terry Borton <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: Magic Lantern & Cinema
>
>I am working on a book about the relationship between the magic lantern
>and the movies, tentatively titled, _Cinema Before Film: America's First
>Great Screen Artist, Joseph Boggs Beale_.  Beale was America's foremost
>lantern artist.  Between 1881 and 1914 he created over 125 story and
>song sets for the lantern, totally  more than 1500 slides. Beale
>concentrated on the great works of American and World literature and
>History; many of the sets are truly stunning.
>     Using Beale's work as the primary example, the book will argue that
>about 75% of what we think of as "the art of the cinema" was used on
> [...]

______________________
Robert Kolker
Professor of English
President, Society for Cinema Studies
University of Maryland
College Park, MD 20742
http://otal.umd.edu/~rkolker
301.405.6250
As of July 1:
Chair, School of Literature, Communication, and Culture
Georgia Institute of Technology
Atlanta, Georgia 30332-0165

http://www.tcf.ua.edu/ScreenSite