SCREEN-L Archives

March 1998, Week 5

From:
David Ezell <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 27 Mar 1998 14:07:20 -0500
I am a big fan of McCuller, but I would not suggest the Zimmerman version
for teens--it is stage bound and slow--although it is an excellent film
with fine performances.  I have shown it in a college classroom at it did
rather well.

Unfortunately, the Alfre Woodard version is a disappointment--a real bore.

David

>don't forget carson mcculler's member of the wedding.  Fred zimmerman
>directed julie harris and ethel waters in the 1956 film.  it might be a
>good way to introduce gender and racial issues.  i've never seen it, but i
>understand there is a tv-movie of the same novella with alfre woodard and
>anna paquin.
>

>Keith Blay wrote:
>
>> I am teaching a course this summer for the first time comparing
>> literature to film for seventh and eighth graders (13-14 year olds).  I
>> am looking for films adapted from stories ( preferably short stories)
>> suitable for this age group. with quality adaptions into film. Any
>> suggestions or favorites?
>>
>> I would really appreciate any help you can give.
>>
>> ----
>
>C Nielan
>Journal of Neurosurgery/Neurosurgical Focus
>1224 West Main Street, Suite 450
>Charlottesville, VA   22903
>(804) 924 5555 (voice)
>(804) 924 2702 (fax)
>[log in to unmask] (email)
>
>----
>To sign off SCREEN-L, e-mail [log in to unmask] and put SIGNOFF SCREEN-L
>in the message.  Problems?  Contact [log in to unmask]

David Ezell
Georgia Institute of Technology
Atlanta, Georgia