SCREEN-L Archives

April 1995, Week 2

From:
Kristine Butler <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 10 Apr 1995 15:12:59 CDT
At  3:50 PM 4/5/95 -0500, Diana Schlesselman wrote:

>Greetings,
>
>I'm hoping you will be able to assist me and expand upon a
>subject that was briefly discussed a while back.
>
>I am researching the following topic:  Hollywood remakes of
>original non-American films (for instance _The Return of Martin
>Guerre/Sommersby_, _The Vanishing/The Vanishing_).
>
>I am having a difficult time locating sources that COMPARE the
>remake with the original.  I am particularly looking at changes
>made in the areas of:
>
>     script/dialogue
>     characters
>     plot
>     locale/era
>
>Any assistance you will be able to provide will be greatly
>appreciated.  Please feel free to contact me directly.
>
>Thanks!
>
>Diana Schlesselman

Two films originally done by Jean Renoir come to mind, although I don't
have any insights on sources that compare the two, though I have done quite
a bit of work on that myself in teaching these films.  One is _Boudu sauve
des eaux_ (Boudu Saved from Drowning), 1932, which was remade as Down and
Out in Beverly Hills (remember that one?).  The other is called _La
chienne_ (The Bitch) remade in 1945 by Fritz Lang under the title _Scarlet
Street_.  It is possible (though I'm not at all certain) that Jean-Louis
Leutrat has done a comparative study in his book on _La chienne_, but my
guess is it isn't available in English.

Best,

Kris Butler
University of Minnesota