SCREEN-L Archives

August 2019, Week 1

From:
"Cheu, Johnson" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 31 Jul 2019 05:32:38 +0000
Dear All:

New edited collection published: The Films of Robin Williams: Critical Essays Ed. Johnson Cheu; McFarland Publishers

Blurb and link:

From his first appearance as Mork from Ork on the 1970s sitcom Happy Days, Robin Williams was heralded as a singular talent. In the pre–cable television era, he was one of the few performers to successfully transition from TV to film. An Oscar-winning actor and preternaturally quick-witted comedian, Williams became a cultural icon, leaving behind a large and varied body of work when he unexpectedly took his own life in 2014.

This collection of new essays brings together a range of perspectives on Williams and his oeuvre, including beloved hits like Mrs. Doubtfire, Good Morning, Vietnam, Good Will Hunting, The Fisher King, Dead Poets Society and Aladdin. Contributors explore his earlier work (Mork and Mindy, The World According to Garp) and his political and satirical films (Moscow on the Hudson, Toys). Williams’s darker, less well-known fare, such as Being Human, One Hour Photo, Final Cut and Boulevard, is also covered. Williams’s artistry has become woven into the fabric of our global media culture.

https://mcfarlandbooks.com/product/the-films-of-robin-williams/

If you are on the board of or referee review for journals, if you'd be so kind as to ask the review editor to put the book on their list of books to review, McFarland and I would appreciate it.

& shameless plug, if interested, check me out here: (a slice-&-dice-to-fit quote, but still....

https://ew.com/movies/2019/07/18/how-disney-is-succeeding-with-its-live-action-remakes/

Thanks all.

Dr. Johnson Cheu

Asst. Professor

Michigan State University, WRAC Dept.

434 Farm Lane, Rm. 235

East Lansing, MI 48824

517-355-2400 (D) 517-353-5250 (Fax)

New edited book: The Films of Robin Williams: Critical Essays

https://mcfarlandbooks.com/product/the-films-of-robin-williams/