SCREEN-L Archives

February 2000, Week 3

From:
"M.J.Williams" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 17 Feb 2000 17:44:15 +0000
Thanks for all the postings - it's really interesting how a
little lazy research inquiry (with Godard mispelt
incidentally - an unforgivable typo) can set a debate off.
Did anybody ever say the band-aid thing (it can't have been
a Brit - they would say plaster)? It's funny how some film
axioms come adrift from their moorings and others are
always linked inextricably to who said them *first* - like
Hitchcock on actors as cattle. But then again, I can't
recall the exact phrasing of that...

Melanie Williams

On Wed, 16 Feb 2000 19:55:23 -0500 mpomeran
<[log in to unmask]> wrote:

> Mark Langer's fascinating reply to the question about the girl and the
> gun really makes me want to ask this question:
>
> WHEN WE ARE FACED WITH A QUESTION like, "Who said this: 'All I need to
> make a movie is a girl and a gun'?," HOW do we go about trying to frame
> an answer.  We've heard Jean-Luc Godard, Abraham Zapruder, Howard Hawks.
> But not Nicole Garcia, Jane Campion, Alfred Hitchcock, Anthony Mann.
>
> If I asked *this* question, I wonder what kinds of speculations would
> come about---note please: this is all about speculation, since presumably
> we don't *know* the answer:---- "Who said this: 'All you can say about
> movies could be written on the back of a band-aid.'"
>
> (Murray, Toronto)
>
> ----
> Screen-L is sponsored by the Telecommunication & Film Dept., the
> University of Alabama: http://www.tcf.ua.edu

Melanie Williams
English Department
University of Hull