SCREEN-L Archives

March 1999, Week 3

Date:
Thu, 18 Mar 1999 13:30:58 -0500
I need to make a copy for the scenarist, but I need to buy the high grade
tapes three at a time, and that's the number to duplicate at a time.  Is
anyone interested in viewing the rough cut of the film?  The director's
cut is longer and makes more sense, but has only barely begun.

Considering the accusations of _Elizabeth_ being MTV, I'm sure I'll get
attacked with that, and assumed because of my age to have been weaned on
MTV.  In truth, it was inspired primarily by 1920s avant-garde cinema,
plus Maya Deren and others, and around a particular theme.  As far as the
MTV generation goes, I was never allowed to watch MTV, which wasn't much
to keep me from since I never had cable and still don't, so I didn't see
it all that much, and I usuallly only saw videos by a few favorite bands I
either bought or checked out from the library.  I've watched more silent
cinema than MTV.  I just wanted to make that statement, since "MTV" is
thrown around to reject any film that tries to be stylish and not be
content with standard Masterpiece Theatre camera angles.

Excuse the long diatribe, and e-mail me if you are interested.  You can
visit the Internet Movie Database to learn more about the film, though the
crew credits are incomplete because the system hates the underscores in
the title.  The film does not have the original score, which was never
completed, but uses excerpts of Angelo Badalamenti's _Lost Highway_ as a
temp track.

Scott

Scott Andrew Hutchins
http://php.iupui.edu/~sahutchi
Oz, Monsters, Kamillions, and More!

"Colorless green ideas sleep furiously."--Noam Chomsky

http://www.tcf.ua.edu/ScreenSite