SCREEN-L Archives

September 1998, Week 2

From:
Donald Larsson <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Wed, 9 Sep 1998 16:06:46 -0500
Mike Frank wonders:

> in the second sequence in VERTIGO scottie expresses dissatisfaction
> with the music that midge has playing on her phonograph [an almost
> forgotten
> word] and midge goes over and stops it . . .
>
> the music, incidentally, is by one of the sons of bach [c.p.e., i think],
> but the reason
> for this bit being in the movie remains, at least to me, somewhat baffling
> . . . [and midge's
> later comment that mozart won't help adds to rather than solves the
> problem] . . . so i'd be
> interested in a side thread that speculated about this

Isn't this actually the scene where he's recovering from his nervous
breakdown after "Madeleine's" death?  Midge comments that Mozart "is
just what the doctor recommended" as music therapy.  But I've wondered
about the bit myself and am relieved to hear it's by a different
composer, since it's very un-Mozartish.  As I recall, Scotty says
little or nothing and Midge herself stops the music.

Which is a relief because the music is strange and repetitious--seeming
(to me) to echo the spiral motif of the stairs, the hair curl, Bass's
titles, and Herrmann's own score.

Don Larsson

Donald Larsson, Mankato State U (MN)