SCREEN-L Archives

August 2000, Week 3

From:
Leo Enticknap <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 20 Aug 2000 22:44:15 +0100
Jeremy Butler asks:

>Are there any laws or university policies in Germany that would restrict
>the showing of pro-Nazi or Neonazi films?  If they are permissible in
>classroom screenings, are they also permissible in, say, a film society's
>screenings or in a public cinema?

If anyone's interested, the exhibition of Nazi films in modern Germany is
discussed at some length by Eric Rentschler in 'The Ministry of Illusion:
Nazi Cinema and its Afterlife' (Harvard U.P., 1996).  Can't remember what
the legal position is exactly (the book is in a cardboard box in my
parents' attic, so I can't get at it here and now), but R argues that Nazi
entertainment films without an immediately apparent propaganda objective
(that being defined as one which a lay viewer could not readily decipher
without a certain level of historical background) are regularly shown in
modern Germany without most viewers associating them with Nazism.

Leo Enticknap
Technical Manager
City Screen Cinemas (York) Ltd..
13-17 Coney St., York YO1 9QL.
United Kingdom
Telephone: 01904 612940 (work); 07710 417383 (brainfryer)
e-mail: [log in to unmask] (work); [log in to unmask] (home)
www.picturehouse-cinemas.co.uk