SCREEN-L Archives

April 1998, Week 1

From:
Jim Marsden <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 30 Mar 1998 16:29:24 -0500
Dave Trautman wrote:

> I seem to recall enjoying John Geilgud in something called "Provendence"
> in which he is essentially writing the story we are watching.  Scenes
> repeat with revisions and people change according to how well he likes
> them through the "waking" parts of the story.

You refer to Alain Renais's _Providence_ (1977), in which Gielgud is joined by
Dirk Bogarde and Ellen Burstyn, among others; it is ostensibly set in the small
but remarkable city of Providence, RI, though I'm not sure any filming was
actually done there (and I really should know).

Jim Marsden
Providence, RI, USA

http://www.tcf.ua.edu/screensite