SCREEN-L Archives

June 1994

Sender:
Date:
Thu, 9 Jun 1994 20:45:17 EDT
A mid-'forties Hitchcock film (NOTORIOUS?) was completely in black and
white with the exception of a single color frame of the muzzle of a
gun as a shot was fired during a climactic moment.  As I remember, the
frame was edited into each release print.

Of course, subsequent 16mm prints did not include this single frame in
color.  Did it matter?  Well, it all depends on what one considers
"important."

I wonder whether subsequent prints of SCHINDLER'S LIST will show the
girl with a red coat.  My guess is not.  What will the next generation
of film scholars make of that sequence?

Cal Pryluck, Radio-Television-Film, Temple University, Philadelphia
<[log in to unmask]>  <[log in to unmask]>