SCREEN-L Archives

February 2000, Week 3

From:
Nadine Wills <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 17 Nov 1999 10:14:23 +1000
A question about finding 1930s Hollywood musicals not on major video release:

I haven't been able to order or find any of the early Jeanette MacDonald
musicals (Love Me Tonight (1932), One Hour with You (1932), Monte Carlo
(1930), The Love Parade (1929) etc.). Likewise, Jane Wither's 1930s Fox 'B'
films. I've checked all the major Net distributors with no luck. I
understand that TNT shows the early MacDonald films every once in awhile,
however I don't have access to that channel as I'm in Australia (this also
complicates seraching places like ebay). Any suggestions (either PAL or NTSC)?

I should be visiting the US and the UK in the next 6 months, so any archive
(i.e. Fox collections)/library suggestions as to where I might track some of
their more obscure films down would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.
Nadine Wills

School of Film, Media and Cultural Studies
Griffith University, Australia