SCREEN-L Archives

January 1997, Week 5

From:
Leo Enticknap <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 31 Jan 1997 12:52:57 +0000
On Thu, 30 Jan 1997 15:20:52 -0400 Ron Hoffman <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

> I recently purchased a video of Murnau's Sunrise from Grapevine, the only
> source I could find.  I am not happy with the quality of the print from
> which the video was made.  Are there any other sources for this video
> that might utilize a better print?  Thanks in advance.
>
> Ron Hoffman

The film was restored by Kevin Brownlow and David Gill and shown on Channel 4
in the UK on 28 December 1995.  I thought the transfer was excellent (it was
based on a diacetate lavender held in the [British] National Film and
Television Archive) and Reisenfeld's score was transcribed from early prints
(no manuscript is known to exist) and reconstructed by Carl Davis et al.  It
was broadcast in stereo.

You might like to contact Brownlow's company, Photoplay Productions in London
(let me know if you'd like me to look up the address; I don't have it with me),
to see if this version has been or will be published in America.

Leo Enticknap
Bill Douglas Centre for the History of Cinema and Popular Culture
*** look at our website on http://www.ex.ac.uk/bill.douglas/ ***
University of Exeter, UK