SCREEN-L Archives

October 2003, Week 3

Sender:
From:
Max Dawson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 15 Oct 2003 17:04:01 +1000
Is anyone aware of an equivalent to David Bordwell's work on classical film
style and aesthetics in the field of television studies?

I'm specifically looking for insight on the history and application of
certain editing styles and techniques (including the use of dissolves); the
use of zooms; and the 360° rule as it applies to television production.

I know Jeremy Butler's television studies textbook, TELEVISION: CRITICAL
METHODS AND APPLICATIONS, has quite a bit about matters such as these, but
can anyone else recommend a reference on this subject?

Thank you,

Max Dawson
School of Media and Communications
University of New South Wales