SCREEN-L Archives

July 1994

From:
Lee Elliott <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 26 Jul 1994 15:58:00 EST
On Tue, 26 Jul 1994, Marc Pitre wrote:

>What I see as weird is the hypothetical statement following "If we
do..."
>Very rarely are intelligent black male characters featured in films at
>all.  I'm not sure of Lee Elliott's intent, but I long to see more
positive
>black male characters that are not killed off or marginalized in the
>context of a film's story.

I'd just like to clarify something. My intent was only to see what
everyone out there thought about this touchy issue with particular regard
to James Cameron's films. I was not trying to place a value on anything
or suggest that Cameron has racist tendancies.   As a minority myself,
the roles minorities are given in films (particularly gung-ho American
films) are quite interesting to me.
I agree with the sentiment that it would nice to see not just black
characters, but all minority characters given a decent shake and not
marginalized or killed off to soothe what is, after all, a largely
"white" conscious.

On Tue, 26 Jul 1994, Errol Vieth wrote:
> If Cameron had a point, it was that the control is held not by one
colour or
>gender, but by the often faceless corporate owners/stockholders.

Let's be honest.  Who are the majority of those faceless corporate
owners/stockholders?  And who must be sacrificed to save them?

Lee Elliott
Oh, and by the way, I was the phantom who asked about Alien vs. Predator.
 Thanks Brian, for the info.

"The meat of the buffalo tastes the same on either side of the border."
-Sitting Bull, 1879