SCREEN-L Archives

April 1991

Date:
Sun, 7 Apr 91 21:35:00 EDT
        Fiona:
Just about every "video" on MTV is done on film.  A lot of them are being
done in 35mm now-a-days.  There are also some done in both 16mm and 35mm
(Sweet Child O' Mine by GnR and Her Way of Praying by the Jesus and Mary
Chain are a couple of examples.  Actually, in HWP it looks like the 16mm
scenes were done with a Bolex!!! At least that's what they wanted us to
believe.).  There were a lot of videos done on video in the early 80's.
Ashes to Ashes by David Bowie and Barking at the Moon by Ozzie Ozbourne
are a couple of examples.  When people see those videos now, they say
"ughh!  Those videos look cheesy!"  When they see She Blinded Me with
Science by Thomas Dolby, they don't say it looks bad (It looks like it
was made in 16mm) because it was done on film.  SBWS and BATM were done
at about the same time, but now BATM looks worse than SBMWS because it
was done on video.  We now expect every video to have that film look,
and if it doesn't, we ascribe a low budget tag to it.  I think
BN
Buffalo Stance (I can't remember who did it) was the last "video" I saw
that was made on video.
        BTW no need to apologise for ignorence, we're all ignorent about
something (in my case, SPELLING!!!)
eyes