SCREEN-L Archives

July 1996, Week 4

From:
Chris Worsnop <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 26 Jul 1996 11:39:18 -0400
Without wanting to take away from what is definitely a form of development
in modern media, I'd like to point out that every age needs some sort of
horror with which to scare the pants off the populace.

I reckon the Book of Revelation was a pretty good example, and various scary
versions of hellfire ever since. Apocalyptic visions are not new; nor are
views of humanity that treat individuals more like ants. Revelation was, I
believe, just one example of a very popular kind of literature of its era -
apocalyptic literature. I wonder if there was a debate in those times about
escalation.

Let's not forget the period of terror during the French Revolution when the
populace packed a picnic to go watch the multiple beheadings; or the Roman
games when the Christians provided the picnic for the lions in fromt of a
gleeful crowd of thousands; or the way citizens used to flock to a good
public burning. For all that our modern media may be representing things to
us with a starknes that is more than before, we may still be a more
civilized society than those that went before us.

For my money, Paths of Glory is still one the goriest representations of how
humanity can recklessly destroy itself. I found it impossible in that film
to console myself with any thoughts that it was a fiction.

Just a few thoughts.

Chimo from Canada

Chris Worsnop

Chris M. Worsnop