SCREEN-L Archives

March 1995, Week 1

Sender:
From:
Jajasoon Tlitteu <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 1 Mar 1995 12:54:57 CST
>I don't understand the specific link to film and television studies on this
>posting. It strikes me as pure political propaganda for more tax money, not
>reasoned argument.

You seem to forget that "studies" implies "students" and since many of us
are currently students and all are former students,  cutting aid effects
our "studies."

>Cutting federal aid will restore the superior free education found in
>American state and city universities prior to the 1960's.

This strikes me as pure political propaganda for less tax money, not
reasoned argument.  Give specifics on how cutting aid will restore our
glorious non-existant past.

> [Ron Brown story]
>Any comments from the professors of film and television?

I'm not a professor (I'm a PIT, Prof-In-Training) so maybe I don't meet
your requirements for comments, but I think this points out the flaw in so
much political rhetoric these days.  I assume you posted this story as an
example of "one of our own" getting caught in the same games we accuse your
boys of having exclusive rights to play.  But you are assuming that us
"professors" speak from a unified "liberal" political voice and we would
place Ron Brown, Bill Clinton, and other radical lefties like that under
our ideological tent.  Well I can only speak for myself, but Clinton and
Brown belong in your tent a lot more than mine.  The only major Clinton
appointees that I would actively defend or support are Joycelyn Elders and
maybe Robert Reich on a good day.  You seem to want to look at American
politics as a dualism of "right" vs. "wrong/left" much like many  "liberal"
folks look at the right as a unified singular voice.  Abortion will
continue to fracture this image on the right and maybe someday someone with
"authority" will admit that Clinton is no more of a progressive than Bush
circa 1979.  Don't try to lump all of us "lefties" under one tent
(especially one that includes Ron Brown -- maybe Jerry though).

-j

********
jajasoon tlitteu  ([log in to unmask])

"You've probably heard that Microsoft has recently taken over the Catholic
Church. The Vatican was pleased, saying, 'Well, we've been using icons for
over 2000 years, and Microsoft has only been using them for 3, so we figure
we'll be able to help them out a bit.'"