SCREEN-L Archives

January 1996, Week 2

Sender:
From:
Peter X Feng <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 11 Jan 1996 10:29:33 -0600
>I am looking for a film that deals with the Asian immigrant experience
>here in the US.  I remember one with Dennis Quaid, but I've blanked on
>the title.  This is for a course on race relations.  Other films I am
>considering are El Norte, Do the Right Thing.  Any suggestions?
>
>DAVID B. JAFFE

>From:    Joe Abbott <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: Re: Asian Immigrant Experience?
>
>David --
>    I *think* the title of the Dennis Quaid film was *Come See the
>Paradise* (or something similar).

You have the correct title.

Point of clarification: are you interested in films about the experience of
migration itself, or the experiences of immigrants in the U.S.?  I assume
the latter since your course is on "race relations" not "migration."  If
that's the case I must point out that "race relations" involves U.S.-born
people of color as well as immigrants, and that COME SEE THE PARADISE and
the events upon which it is based involved U.S.-born citizens as much as
immigrants.  (I'd also point out that THE WEDDING BANQUET, which Abbott
suggested, has very little to do with "race relations," insofar as the
conflicts are avowedly cross-cultural and homophobic, and only latently
racial/racist.)

Finally, I'd point out that seeking info on "Asian immigrants" is not
necessarily the same thing as seeking info on "Asian Americans" and race
relations, but it is revealing that when Spike Lee is cited one thinks
"race" and when COME SEE THE PARADISE is mentioned one thinks "immigrants."
(BTW, PARADISE was directed by a white male Brit who's shown particular
inadequacy in exploring American race relations... remember MISSISSIPPI
BURNING?)

Peter Feng