SCREEN-L Archives

April 1996, Week 4

From:
"Susan E. Webster" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Susan E. Webster
Date:
Sun, 21 Apr 1996 14:18:11 GMT
Hi,

My mom is getting up there in age (70) and she gives me these
glimpses of films for which she wants the names and actors, but
there is not much to go on.  Here goes:  It's a film made in
the 30's or 40's she believes, where two people meet on a
cruise liner and start a love affair.  The man from the love
affair is a convicted criminal on his way to death row.  The
woman has a terminal illness and will die within the next year.
After their brief affair, the promise to meet on New Year's Eve
of the next year.  Well, they both die within that year, but
at the end of the movie two champagne glasses clink on New Year's
Eve where these two were supposed to be sitting.   The plot
(or what my mom rembered of it) rings a very distant bell for
me, hopefully if you've seen the movie or recognize the plot
it'll send off a gong.

Thanks for the help,
Susan