SCREEN-L Archives

January 2016, Week 2

From:
Tim Rayborn <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 12 Jan 2016 09:39:52 -0800
Greetings to everyone,

My name is Tim Rayborn, and I am writing to see if any be interested in
contributing to a new scholarly anthology published by McFarland,
devoted to the “Marvel’s Jessica Jones” television series. My co-editor
and I are particularly interested in essays on gender studies, given how
the show masterfully subverts so many traditional norms.

Below is the general CFP with the details about the type of content we
are seeking, as well as deadlines and other relevant information. If
this is of interest to you, or if you have colleagues who might be
potential contributors, please feel free to contact me directly at the
email address below.

Thank you so much for your time.

Tim Rayborn

McFarland Publishers, an independent book publisher devoted to a wide
variety of topics, including history, sports, and pop culture, will be
publishing a collection of essays on the new Netflix television series
Marvel’s Jessica Jones. I and my colleague Abigail Keyes will take on
the role of editors. I have written three books for McFarland (two
available now and one published in 2016). I have a PhD from the
University of Leeds (UK) and am a professional performer of classical
music. Abigail has a background in dance and performance studies, and is
completing an MA at Mills College in Oakland, CA. We are both long-time
comics fans, and are eager to explore this amazing new series.

The show has generated an incredible amount of positive reviews and
feedback. Its 13-episode season takes viewers through a thrilling and
harrowing story arc. It expertly explores the topics of abuse and PTSD,
rape, sociopathy, control, society’s reactions to these issues, and much
more. In addition to the main characters of Jessica and Kilgrave, two
additional dysfunctional relationships make for important and compelling
additional plot material, that of Trish Walker and Simpson, and Hogarth
and her estranged wife.

There is a wealth of material from this show that can be unpacked and
thoroughly examined. In assembling a collection of essays, we would like
to see a considerable variety of topics, particularly centered on gender
studies, psychology (particularly related to abuse and PTSD), and
sociology. Possible subjects might include:

•    Abuse: domestic, relationship, parental, professional, and how
these are one of the show’s central themes
•    Subverted gender roles; the Bechdel test (reversed in this show);
the portrayal of women in a strong and positive manner
•    The portrayal of PTSD
•    Rape, both physical and mental; Kilgrave’s power as a
representation of it
•    Jessica’s use of alcohol on the show and other substance abuse
•    Kilgrave, sociopathy, and the mentality of an abuser
•    Sociological studies would be welcome, such as why the show is so
popular with both comics fans and non-readers, and which themes seem to
resonate with modern viewers.

Essays must be in English, fully cited with end notes, and bibliography,
all in accordance with the current Chicago Manual of Style (the style
manual for this collection). The length of each contribution should be
between about 5,000 and 10,000 words, unless there is a good reason that
a given essay should be shorter or longer. Please use clear, concise
writing, not overly academic jargon or dense prose.

Peer review will be conducted after the collection is submitted,
currently scheduled for late autumn 2016. Accordingly, the deadline for
article submission is August 1 to allow us time to edit properly.
Submissions before that deadline are, of course, most welcome and helpful.

If contributors wish to include images not in public domain or text
excerpts from copyrighted materials requiring written permission to
reproduce, they will be expected to obtain such permissions on their
own, and pay the required reproduction fees (if needed). McFarland
cannot reimburse for this expense. I will need hard copies of each such
permission. McFarland also prefers that contributors not use exact
quotations of dialogue from Jessica Jones episodes or images/screen
captures, as these require additional permission/fees from the
television studio and can delay publication.

Potential contributors should submit a one- to two-page proposal
including a potential title, a short description of the topic(s) for
your essay, a brief summary of your background and qualifications, and
contact information.

Please email your proposals to me at: [log in to unmask]

Thank you for your time and interest, and we look forward to receiving
and reading your proposals.

Best wishes,

Tim Rayborn

----
Learn to speak like a film/TV professor! Listen to the ScreenLex
podcast:
http://www.screenlex.org