SCREEN-L Archives

November 1998, Week 5

From:
Michael Gant <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 26 Nov 1998 11:00:14 +0000
Hi

I am trying to identify which films had the largest box office grosses in
the USA in 1946, 1954 and 1976.  Does anyone know whether there is a ready
source for these figures?  Would, for example, Variety or Hollywood
Reporter have published a round-up of the year's most successful films at
the end of each year, and if so would this have included figures for
grosses, or is it likely to be a case of having to trawl through the
industry papers for each year adding up reported figures for each week?
(Let's hope not)

Secondly, if there is such a document, does anyone know whether the BFI or
anyone else in Britain would have it, or am I going to have to go to
America?  (Let's hope so)

Thanks in advance.

Mike Chopra-Gant
Media and Communications Department