SCREEN-L Archives

March 1994

Sender:
Date:
Tue, 1 Mar 1994 17:42:43 EST
On Mon, 28 Feb 1994 21:14:00 PST Potter Palmer said:

>I also think that we would be remiss if we did not address the class issue here
>Clearly Kerrigan has been represented as coming from and representing upper-
>class values, while Harding has been represented as "white trash". Hence, Kerr-
>igan is allowed to become "America's Darling" while Harding is not.

social class is an issue, but not the one described above.  It has been
widely publicized that Kerrigan's father is a welder who worked two-three
jobs to support what is a very expensive activity.  (The estimates I've
seen say $20,000 to $30,000 annually at the top levels of competition.
Someone has to pay rink fees, coaches, costumes, choreographers, etc.)

Wouldn't it be great if life presented us with simple solutions?

Cal Pryluck, Radio-Television-Film, Temple University, Philadelphia
<[log in to unmask]>  <PRYLUCK@TEMPLEVM>