SCREEN-L Archives

August 2000, Week 3

Sender:
From:
Steve Fore <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 15 Aug 2000 09:32:04 +0800
Perhaps it was, but as with all really good parody, it also cuts to the
heart of the matter.  My favorite line on Bergman comes from Harvey Pekar,
the author of works in the "American Splendor" series that achieve a level
of brilliantly introspective angst and wisdom that Ingmar couldn't get to
if he kept at it for a thousand years:

"Bergman? What a boring, sophomoric thinker...."

Sure, like a lot of honky middle class people of a certain age, I went
through my Bergman phase.  But that's so over, man.

Steve Fore

http://www.tcf.ua.edu/ScreenSite