SCREEN-L Archives

July 1997, Week 3

From:
"J.L. Krebs" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 18 Jul 1997 22:04:54 -0400
The following was reported by Reuters on 07-15-97.  As there was an ongoing
discussion on the list regarding this topic, I thought this would be of
interest.

(Copyright by Reuters, I'm not making a cent off of this, so just pretend you
are looking over my shoulder at my computer monitor while I'm logged onto
AOL).

    Jeanne Krebs
    Baltimore, MD

CNN Loses 'Contact'

``Contact'' may have been the last picture for CNN journalists. More than a
dozen CNN on-air personnel appear in the Jodie Foster film. CNN President Tom
Johnson told TV journalists Monday that he originally thought the movie work
would be good publicity for CNN but he's banning any more film appearances
after the network's credibility was called into question. Anchorman Bernard
Shaw, appears in ``Contact'' as well as ``Jurassic Park: The Lost World,''
and says he sees no problem with journalists appearing in movies. But White
House correspondent Wolf Blitzer says he turned down an offer to be in
``Contact'' -- just as he's turned down about 20 other movie offers. CNN and
Warner Bros., the film's producer, are both owned by Time Warner.