SCREEN-L Archives

December 1996, Week 1

Sender:
From:
Jenni Olson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 3 Dec 1996 14:16:25 -0500
(> And, of course, as with any identity-based qualifiers, a given film has
Leo Enticknap writes:

>Absolutely.  To try and move on from simply acknowledging
>the existence of numerous identities, the thorny question
>seems to me to be one of priorities: in a given context,
>what is the most significant focus of a given
>film/film-maker and why?  For example, if someone were to
>ask me what my thoughts were on Sagan's "Madchen in
>Uniform", my brief reply would be that it is a lesbian
>film. In response to the same question apropos "Antonia", I
>would say that it was yet another of those pan-European
>co-productions we've been seeing recently, paid for by
>various government film instutions and TV companies.

Picking up on "what is the most significant focus of a given
film/film-maker and why?" I would still insist that the critique of
heterosexuality is at the center of all of Gorris' work, and that that is the
most significant thing about "Antonia's Line."

All the best,

Jenni Olson
Producer, PopcornQ

PopcornQ: The Ultimate Online Home for the Queer Moving Image is available
now at http://www.popcornq.com or at AOL Keyword: PopcornQ, or at MSN Go
Word: PopcornQ.

"The kino is a vulgar modern entertainment and I doubt if it can tell us
anything serious about the modern condition."
-- Sigmund Freud

PlanetOut - 965 Mission St. #730 - San Francisco CA 94103
VOX 415/547-2800 x309 * FAX 415/547-2801
http://www.planetout.com