SCREEN-L Archives

September 1995, Week 2

Date:
Fri, 8 Sep 1995 14:34:41 GMT
I agree that the narration of Caligri is deceptive. But The story turns
out to be the protagonist's delusion but you write "this is withheld
information, and not precisely structured as her dream.  Rather it is a
narrative revelation at the climax." Does that mean that you see Jane as
the narrator. The film's monstration/narration shows us Francis as the
narrator within the film. Main plot of the film is framed by shots
Francis talking to someone on a bench. The story he tells to that person
who turns out to be an asylum mate would be his delusion...if it is a
delusion. We see Jane sleep walking after his narration but what
suggests that she has been telling the story? I'm not convinced that the
story has to be read as delusion. Nothing prevents Caligari from being
both the evil Fakier who exhibits Cesare and the head of the asylum at
the same time, does it?
Louis Schwartz