SCREEN-L Archives

February 1994

From:
Bruce Hutchinson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 1 Feb 1994 09:35:12 -0600
> regarding Sergei Eisenstein's biography, and his works(i.e.
> Battleship Potemkin)??  Also, does anyone have any opinions as
> to whether Eisenstein's brand of montage editing still exists,
> and if so, where??

Eisenstien discussed a number of types of montage, most of
which cannot be found in the Hollywood feature.  His most
famous type, intellectual montage, juxtaposed diagetic (in
movie) images with non-diagetic (images outside the realm of
the movie or plot) to make a particular point.  This type of
montage is rarely used and was one Andre Bazin's main points
of contention.

Diagetic montage contrasts images within the framework of the
story and can be witnessed more often.  Showing an image of a
rich person walking down the street and then cutting to
homeless person might be an example.

Overtonal, though a complex idea in my mind, might also be
found in present films.  As I understand it, this type of
montage is similar to a lietmotif (sp?).  Therefore a film
like Blade Runner, with its various shots of the orgami
figures, might be using overtonal montage.

If anyone has other ideas on what Eisenstien had in mind with
Overtonal montage I would be interested in hearing about it.

Bruce Hutchinson
University of Kansas
Film and Theater Dept.