SCREEN-L Archives

February 1994

Date:
Fri, 25 Feb 1994 23:02:54 EST
On Fri, 25 Feb 1994 14:02:02 CST Steve . Kellman said:
>>If it can be done without violating any laws, I would be grateful for a copy
>of the RESERVOIR DOGS screenplay.
>Steven G. Kellman      [log in to unmask]

>>  I've gotten many requests for it...  I'm not sure how legal this is, but
>> as soon as I finish it, I'll let you all know, and then I can ship it out to
>> whoever wants it...  (I hope...there's always that darn legality factor, if
>> any...  :)
>>   So, I'll keep working at it, and I'll let you know when I'm done...
>>   I'm also in the process of converting the final film version into a stage
>> play...  Probably also very illegal...  :P  But what the hell, I've got some
>> free time!
>>
>>   Josh from Madison, WI

Josh, I hope you've got lots of free time and money.  Violations under the
copyright law can be prosecuted in civil court involving much time, legal
fees, and possible damages or in ciriminal court involving potential jail
time, fines, and, of course, legal fees.

There are limited circumstances under which a student can use copyrighted
material (use in class may constituted fair use under the law).  But
blatant distribution and self-aggradizement involved in re-writing a script
does not to this non-lawyer constitute fair use.

Feel yourself lucky that you haven't yet received an email or snail mail
version of the classic "lawyer letter" after having advertised your
intentions to several hundred strangers.

Cal Pryluck, Radio-Television-Film, Temple University, Philadelphia
<[log in to unmask]>  <PRYLUCK@TEMPLEVM>