SCREEN-L Archives

May 1991

From:
Jeremy Butler <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 8 May 91 17:03:00 CDT
The summer's probably a bad time to discuss this, but...

Do you think it would be a good idea to start a filelist to go with
SCREEN-L?

A fileserver, if you're not familiar with the concept, holds text (only
text, not binary/program) files and is accessible through
BITNET/Internet.  In the context of screen studies, a filelist could
contain, e.g.:  course syllabi, detailed job announcements, essays,
journal articles.  In sum, any text file could be stored there.

This was brought to mind by recent comments about TWIN PEAKS files that
can be accessed via FTP (file transfer protocol).  A fileserver such as
I'm talking about would not be accessed in that manner, but I could
explore the feasibility of making UA1VM an anonymous FTP site for screen
studies material.  That way, for one thing, compressed (ZIPped files
could be included). Currently, UA1VM (actually, the related mainframe of
MIBSRV) does currently provide McAfee's virus fighting programs  in this
fashion (private e-mail me if you'd like more info on SCAN, CLEAN,
VSHIELD and NETSCAN and their availability).  So I know it can be done
here, but I don't know if there are the computing resources for this
sort of project.  (Plus, I hear the computer center is going through
some personnel/policy changes.)

Anyway, your thoughts on this would be appreciated.

----------
      Speeds of animals (in mph):
             28     Human
              0.03  Garden snail
              1.17  Spider (Tegenaria atrica)
             30     Cat
             40     Mongolian wild ass
             70     Cheetah

|                                      | Bitnet   :        JBUTLER@UA1VM |
| Jeremy G. Butler - - - - - - - - - - | Internet : [log in to unmask] |
| SCREEN-L coordinator                 | GEnie    :           J.BUTLER27 |
| Telecommunication & Film Dept * The University of Alabama * Tuscaloosa |