SCREEN-L Archives

October 1996, Week 3

From:
Barbara Bernstein <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 11 Oct 1996 11:01:36 -0700
>        What I know is that the refurbished print shown at the NYFF I saw
>changed quality between reels.  At some point it switched from the new
>glossy print to a visibly older (non refurbished?) one.
>        Anybody who saw the film at Walter reade in New York has any ideas?
>
>        Gloria Monti

The restored VERTIGO hasn't opened in San Francisco yet, but there has been
a long interview with the restorers (by Michael Sragow) in a local paper.
This may be of interest:

"'We're always trading off qualities, like color for sharpness,' confesses
[James C.] Katz.  In one critical patch of film, they failed to get either:
Judy's flashback explanation of the plot.  They're frankly abashed that they
can't hide the deterioration of the image.  I watched the film with two
movie-savvy buddies who didn't notice; since the content is jolting anyway,
the abrupt alteration seems natural.  And once the flashback is over, Harris
and Katz's theatrical instincts come into play.  Rather than immediately
resume with their prime material, they ease back into it with footage of an
intermediate quality..."

Also according to this article, Hitchcock filmed a "happy ending" postscript
with Scotty and Midge, for certain foreign markets that didn't want Gavin
Elster getting away with his crime.  Kind of a horrible thought.  It has
been restored and re-recorded, and "will probably show up on the laserdisc."

Sragow's article is  interesting enough article to be worth reading in full.
I don't think the "SF Weekly" puts it stuff on the Web, but you can email
them at

and ask.

Barbara Bernstein                       San Francisco, CA
[log in to unmask]                     http://www.kinexis.com