SCREEN-L Archives

February 1998, Week 4

From:
David Pierce <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 21 Feb 1998 07:43:29 -0500
> On Wed, 11 Feb 1998, Filmmuseum wrote:
>
> > The first version of Baum's THE WIZARD OF OZ (1909?), based on his own
> > stage play, was preserved at George Eastman House, Rochester, N.Y., in
> > 1986, during my tenure as Senior Curator of Film.
> >
> > The Larry Semon film of THE WIZARD OF OZ is also preserved at George
> > Eastman House, as is the 1939 version.
> >
> Scott Hutchins wrote:

> Unlike the 1910 film, which Eastman charges $1000 for a video copy (why
> I've only seen clips), this is in the public domain and is available in
> its completed form from several video distributors.

The 1910 "Wonderful Wizard of Oz" is one of a
series of silent films preserved by Eastman House
that are available for rental and lease in 16mm
from the Museum of Modern Art Circulating Film
Library.

David Pierce

Silent Film Sources
http://www.cinemaweb.com/silentfilm
Updates and news the first of every month
http://www.cinemaweb.com/silentfilm/monthly.htm

The Silent Film Bookshelf
http://www.cinemaweb.com/silentfilm/bookshelf

University of Alabama.