SCREEN-L Archives

February 1995, Week 3

From:
Jeffrey Cohen <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 16 Feb 1995 16:09:42 CST
At last Larry Jarvik and I agree about something!!

>In fact Time-Warner and Paramount are probably more favorably
>inclined to the privatization initiative than Fox because they want
>channels for their new networks UPN and WB.

Exactly. ANY startup network in the current environment wants VHF station
clearances, which there are precious few in this day and age.

Now back to Rupert Murdoch...

In 1990, Murdoch met privately with then-Prime Minister Margaret Thatcher to
discuss his proposed merger of Sky Television nad British Satellite
Broadcasting -- and never told government authorities that the merger, which
raised anti-trust issues, was in the works. Murdoch's HarperCollins
subsequently signed Thatcher to a $5.25 million contract for her memoirs.

In January, 1995, Murdoch's HarperCollins signed a book contract with
Prince Khaled bin Sultan, who commanded the Saudi Gulf military forces
during the Persian Gulf War.

Murdoch is trying to expand his global TV empire into the Middle East. It's a
windfall for whichever broadcaster gets there first.

Murdoch is also trying to break into the closet Chinese television market
with his Star satellite TV signal. HarperCollins has just signed Deng
Rong, Deng Xiaoping's daughter, to pen his biography. The butcher of
Tianennmen Square comes across as a sweetheart.

As Murdoch maneuvers to expand his global broadcasting empire, HarperCollins
is not far behind, writing checks with authors who are distinguished
chiefly by their high positions in a government that Murdoch wants to
do business with.

Gingrich's book could earn him $10 million, even without the advance.
Dan Quayle got $1 million from HarperCollins.

Murdoch needs only to walk into a room and a hungry politician sits up
and takes notice.

Other new legislation would give Murdoch the opportunity to take UHF
channels currently reserved for high-definition television and split them,
with his newly developed compression technology, into eight or more
pay per view stations.

I want to thank Lars Erik Nelson for these "facts."

jeff cohen