SCREEN-L Archives

November 2002, Week 3

Sender:
From:
Gary Harmon <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 19 Nov 2002 19:47:42 EST
For Mark Pizzato and his interest in violent screen women:
You may want to consider the grandmama of violent film women:
    Scarlett O'Hara.

So far as I know, she may be the first woman to put a hole in a man (the
leering Union soldier), use a whip on another man or two, and slap
(the female equivalent of a fist for the time?) about
four persons in the course of her Gone With the Wind journey.  And of
course, her words are sometimes sharp and wounding as well, the verbal
version  of 'violent.'

I would  be interested in knowing  whether anyone can name any more
such phallic women who might predate Scarlett.

Also, for a resource, do consult the book, Tough Girls.

An interesting variation on your project would be a course on
        Violent Women and Nurturing Men in Film
(I nominate John Bayley's heroic nurture and unconditional love, in IRIS,
as one of the best versions of this newly-filmed capacity for men
in a changing contemporary world.)  Men with low testosterone may
have been coming along in film all along.  Take a look.

Gary Harmon

Your list is recent, of course