SCREEN-L Archives

February 2005, Week 4

From:
Julian Stringer <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 28 Feb 2005 17:40:50 +0000
Dear All

*Scope: An Online Journal of Film Studies* is currently celebrating its fifth year of continuous publication. In order to mark this occasion, we have relaunched the journal with a new look web site and numbered issues (Issue no. 1 New Series, Feb 2005 - all previous issues now available in our Archive.) As before, the journal remains available through the web site of the Institute of Film and Television Studies at the University of Nottingham. However, *Scope* now has a new URL - http://www.scope.nottingham.ac.uk

The new site will continue to be updated over the coming months as we add links and expand our newly-installed search engine to include all archived issues. We hope our readers and contributors will approve of these changes and will find the new design and layout both attractive and easy to use.

Our guidelines for submission have also been amended. We now consider articles of between 5000-7500 words, and encourage the submission of extended book and film reviews (i.e. essays of between 2000-3500 words.) In addition, each year we will commission reviews of three major annual conferences - MeCCSA (Media, Communication, and Cultural Studies Association), Screen (University of Glasgow), and SCMS (Society for Cinema and Media Studies) - and consider reports on other conferences of interest to readers.

Here is the list of contents of Issue 1 (Feb 2005):

Articles
'Danger! Danger! Danger!' or When Animals Might Attack: Adventure Activism and Wildlife Film and Television
Mark L. Berrettini

'Just the lemon next to the pie': Apocalypse, History and the Limits of Myth in Big Wednesday (1978)
Joan Ormrod

The Persona of Se7en
Jason Scott

Transformative Soundscapes: Innovating De Forest Phonofilms Talkies in Australia
Brian Yecies

Book Reviews
Crash Cultures -- Modernity, Mediation and the Material, By Jane Arthurs and Iain Grant (eds.)
Reviewer: Jon Baldwin

Film Editing: The Art of the Expressive, By Valerie Orpen
Reviewer: Martin Stollery

Genre, Myth, and Convention in the French Cinema, 1929-1939, By Colin Crisp
Reviewer: Susan Hayward

Hitchcock's Films Revisited: Revised Edition, By Robin Wood
Reviewer: Frances Pheasant-Kelly

Hollywood v. Hard Core: How the Struggle over Censorship Saved the Modern Film Industry, By Jon Lewis
Reviewer: Alex Naylor

Jean-Jacques Beineix, By Phil Powrie
Reviewer: Devona Mallory

Mouse Morality -- The Rhetoric of Disney Animated Film, By Annalee R. Ward
Reviewer: Jon Baldwin

Selling Hollywood to the World: U.S. and European Struggles for Mastery of the Global Film Industry, 1920-1950, By John Trumphour
Reviewer: Douglas Gomery

The Cinema of Emir Kusturica: Notes from the Underground, By Goran Gocic
Reviewer: William A. Martin

The Cinema of Wim Wenders: The Celluloid Highway, By Alexander Graf
Reviewer: Tim Grünewald

The Southern Movie Palace: Rise, Fall and Resurrection, By Janna Jones  & The Place of the Audience: Cultural Geographies of Film Consumption By Mark Jancovich and Lucy Faire, with Sarah Stubbings
Reviewer: Ina Rae Hark

The Whisper of Leaves, By Craig Smith
Reviewer: Kenneth R. Morefield

Underground U.S.A: Filmmaking Beyond the Hollywood Canon, By Xavier Mendik and Steven Jay Schneider (eds.), with Foreword by Lloyd Kaufman
Reviewer: Rebecca Feasey

Young and Innocent?: The Cinema in Britain 1896-1930, By Andrew Higson (ed.)
Reviewer: Jessica Brent

Film Reviews
An Affair (Jeon-Sa) & Happy End (Hae-P'i-En-Teu)
Reviewer: Teo Kia Choong

The Passion of the Christ
Reviewer: Brian Gibson

Ma vraie vie ą Rouen
Reviewer: Florian Grandena

The Lord of the Rings: The Return of the King
Reviewer: Alice Mills

Elephant
Reviewer: Elizabeth Rosen

Capturing the Friedmans
Reviewer: Deborah Shaller

Finįle Festival of Czech Film, Plzen, Czech Republic 29 March - 4 April 2004
Reviewer: David Sorfa

Gerry
Reviewer: Dan Stefik

Cabin Fever
Reviewer: Ross Thompson

Sylvia
Reviewer: Diane R. Wiener

Conference Reports
British Association for American Studies Annual Conference, 15-18 April 2004, Manchester Metropolitan University
Reporter: Catherine Mills

Society for Cinema and Media Studies, March 4-7, 2004, Omni Hotel at CNN Center, Atlanta, USA
Reporter: Liza Palmer

Interrogating Post-Feminism: Gender and the Politics of Popular Culture, The University of East Anglia, 2-3 April 2004
Reporter: Rebecca Feasey

Journeys Across Media (JAM) forum, 23 April 2004, Department of Film, Theatre and Television, University of Reading
Reporter: Iris Luppa

best

Julian

Dr. Julian Stringer
Co-Ordinating Editor, *Scope: An Online Journal of Film Studies*
Institute of Film and Television Studies
School of American and Canadian Studies
University of Nottingham
University Park
Nottingham