SCREEN-L Archives

November 1993

From:
Tom Rosteck <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 26 Nov 1993 22:28:07 -0600
I have found the original documentaries produced _during_ the era
itself to be the best way to introduce undergrads to McCarthyism (and
they reward in other ways as well).
Try the CBS _SEE IT NOW_ programs produced and aired from October 1953 to
April 1954: "The Case of Milo
Radulovich" is a frightening case study of guilt by association;
"Argument in Indianapolis" concerns the ACLU and the American Legion
controversy over free assembly; "Report on Senator McCarthy" is Murrow
and Friendly's direct assault on the force at the center of the
McCarthyism movement; "McCarthy's Reply" aired on SEE IT NOW shows the
Senator confirming, in his attack on Murrow, what all his critics
long suspected about his tactics; "Annie Lee Moss Before the
McCarthy Committee" is charged coverage of the abuses of the
McCarthyite's "investigative techniques."
Aside from introducing the students to the original figures in the era,
the documentaries ALSO reward by showing examples of _SEE IT NOW_ the
earliest and seminal
documentary series and represent a means to suggest comparison with
techniques and aesthetics of documentary practice today.
The "McCarthy Report" and "Reply" programs were slightly edited and
included on a forty minute 16mm film available from McGraw-Hill
films.  I have seen this film in public library collections and media
centers in many places so I would think that you should be able to find
it without much difficulty.  The other programs have a much more limited
circulation.