SCREEN-L Archives

February 1994

Sender:
From:
Mark Bunster <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 4 Feb 1994 14:29:40 EST
*
* My problem with the Breakfast Club is that these people all become friends
* in the end.  That is a load of crap.  I knew people in school, of those
* five stereotypes, and a lot more that they missed, none of them mixed,
* except for a few who "crossed over" a few intelligent jocks, etc....  These
* groups even dated within the group.
*

I don't think that's quite true--there was a big scene where Claire (Molly
Ringwald) admits that they probably wouldn't still be friends after that day.
She and John (Judd nelson) kiss at the end, but she breaks away from him when
he tries to kiss her with a little more closeness than she likes. None of
these things necessarily say for sure that they wouldn't continue with each
other, but I think Hughes left enough doubt that they would continue to
interact with each other as "friends." It was more about understanding that
you're you, not that everybody else is like you.

--
Mark Bunster                      |I'm not an actor, but I play one on TV.
Survey Research Lab--VCU          |