SCREEN-L Archives

June 1991

Date:
Tue, 18 Jun 91 11:26:21 EDT
>Has Jungle Fever been discussed here yet?  If not, does anyone have any
>opinions about it relative to Spike Lee's previous work?  I'd love to hear.
>I have seen it once, but am convinced that I need to see it again before I make
>any judgments about it.  I think I liked it.

I had exactly the same reaction - very rich, very interesting, with moments I
wasn't sure I was to take as verisimilitude (including the first sex between
Flipper and Angie and the killing of Gator). The world of the film is somewhat
more interesting than the main charcters, although I liked both performances.

I definitely need to see it again, and would enjoy more extended discussions.
Have only seen _Do The Right Thing_ of his previous work and have never
discussed it in depth with anyone - judging from these two films, the rapid
changes of pace, especially the sudden outbreaks of non-gratuitious but
sometimes-shocking violence, seem to be his style. But the squeaky-clean
neighborhood of DTRT has certainly been altered in the direction of reality!
(The contrast between Flipper's yuppie home and the fancy cars in the street and
very close-by slums, Taj Mahal, etc., is striking but not unbelievable.)

Judith Kerman at Edinboro University of Pennsylvania

&:-)