SCREEN-L Archives

December 1994, Week 4

Sender:
From:
Jeremy Butler <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 28 Dec 1994 20:51:47 CST
Author:  [log in to unmask]
Date:    12/28/94 2:10 PM

[Editor's note:  This message was submitted to SCREEN-L by the "Author" noted
above, and not by Jeremy Butler ([log in to unmask]).]

hello,

I am a grad student who teaches a section of
freshman writing entitled "Films about Love Sex and Society."

I have been using Giannetti's book Understanding Movies in my class
but this is really too long and involved for a freshman writing
seminar and I am trying to find other shorter introductory texts
for my students which would provide most of the information
Giannetti gives in his first four chapters.  I require my students
to master some of the basic vocabulary of mise en scene analysis
and i teach the class mainly as a writing about film class --
applied critical analysis.  So, if anyone has any suggestions about
books i should check out either introducing mise en scene and
photographic analysis or on specifically writing about film,
i would really appreciate it.

thanks in advance,

stephanie gaynor
tufts university