SCREEN-L Archives

April 2008, Week 1

Date:
Wed, 2 Apr 2008 14:20:12 -0400
Hello Everyone (and apologies for any cross postings):

I am writing from Women Make Movies, a non-profit distributor of
independent educational media, to let you know about the upcoming
national HBO broadcast premiere of THE GREATEST SILENCE: RAPE IN THE
CONGO, a groundbreaking documentary that exposes the systematic rape and
torture of thousands of women and girls happening in the war-torn
Democratic Republic of Congo (DRC), being used as a weapon of war.

A survivor of gang rape herself, Emmy(r) Award-winning filmmaker Lisa F.
Jackson travels through the DRC to understand what is happening and why.
This award-winning documentary features interviews with activists,
physicians, even the indifferent rapists who are soldiers of the
Congolese Army.  But the most moving moments of this film come as dozens
of survivors recount their stories with pulverizing honesty and detail,
providing inspiring examples of resistance, courage and grace.

Women Make Movies is proud to be distributing THE GREATEST SILENCE: RAPE
IN THE CONGO and we invite you to tune in to the national broadcast
premiere, April 8 at 10pm on HBO.

The national broadcast of this powerful documentary offers an
unprecedented opportunity to break the silence that surrounds this
urgent, serious issue.  THE GREATEST SILENCE: RAPE IN THE CONGO also
provides a way to discuss violence against women as a global issue, a
human rights violation affecting women throughout the world.  We ask for
your support in helping us spread the word about the women in the DRC
and their all-too-important story.

Here's how you can help:

> Tune in to the broadcast premiere on HBO, April 8, 10pm
> Forward this e-mail to listservs, discussion groups, your colleagues
and friends
> Post a link to the announcement on your website or blog
[http://www.mynewsletterbuilder.com/tools/view_newsletter.php?newsletter
_id 1409660503]
>Include THE GREATEST SILENCE: RAPE IN THE CONGO in your newsletter
> Learn more about the film:
http://www.wmm.com/filmcatalog/pages/c709.shtml

With the broadcast approaching so quickly, we're doing all we can to
solicit support from as many diverse constituencies as possible. Thank
you so much in advance for your attention to this request!

Feel free to contact me if you have any questions or suggestions.

Sincerely,

Liza Brice
Online Marketing and Outreach Coordinator WOMEN MAKE MOVIES

462 Broadway, Suite 500
New York, NY 10013
tel 212.925.0606 ext. 317 | fax 212.925.2052 | [log in to unmask] | www.wmm.com

*************************ANNOUNCEMENT BELOW***************************

National Broadcast Premiere | THE GREATEST SILENCE: RAPE IN THE CONGO

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *
* NATIONAL BROADCAST PREMIERE *
* HBO | APRIL 8 | 10 PM		*
* * * * * * * * * * * * * * *	*

"[A] documentary of the highest calling."
- The Hollywood Reporter

"Breaks open the terrorizing story of rape and atrocity...Bravely
documents what happens to women in war."
- Eve Ensler, author of The Vagina Monologues

Women Make Movies is proud to announce the highly anticipated premiere
of Sundance Special Jury Prize in Documentary winner THE GREATEST
SILENCE: RAPE IN THE CONGO by Emmy(r) Award-winning director Lisa F.
Jackson. The acclaimed documentary premieres on HBO at 10pm on April 8.

Watch the Trailer here:
http://thegreatestsilence.org/trailer.html

====================
AWARDS & SCREENINGS
====================

*Sundance Film Festival, Special Jury Prize: Documentary
*London Human Rights Watch Int'l Film Festival, Best of Fest
*One World Int'l Human Rights Documentary Film Festival, Prague
*San Francisco Human Rights Watch Int'l Film Festival
*Full Frame Documentary Film Festival
*Seattle Human Rights Watch Film Festival
*Addis Int'l Film Festival on Rights and Justice, Addis Ababa

====================
ABOUT THE FILM
====================

Shot in the war zones of the Democratic Republic of Congo (DRC), this
extraordinary film shatters the silence that surrounds the shocking
plight of women and girls who, caught in this country's intractable
conflict, are being systematically kidnapped, raped, mutilated and
tortured by soldiers from both foreign militias and the Congolese army.
Learn more about the film here:
http://www.wmm.com/filmcatalog/pages/c709.shtml

***********************
 HELP SPREAD THE WORD!
***********************

> Tune in to the broadcast premiere on HBO on April 8 at 10PM.

> Forward this email on to your organization's members, friends and
colleagues.

> Post an announcement about the film and broadcast to your listserv.

> Include information about the film and broadcast in your newsletter.

> Link your website here:
http://www.mynewsletterbuilder.com/tools/view_newsletter.php?newsletter_
id 1409660503

. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .

Women Make Movies is the world's leading distributor of independent
films by and about women, with a focus on documentaries that give depth
to today's headlines, as well as artistically and intellectually
challenging works of all genres. Our collection of more than 500 films
is also used by thousands of educational, community and cultural
organizations annually.
For more information, visit www.wmm.com.

CATALOG
http://www.wmm.com/filmcatalog/titleindex/browse_titles.shtml

COLLECTIONS
http://www.wmm.com/filmcatalog/special_collections.shtml

OFFERS
http://www.wmm.com/filmcatalog/special_offers.shtml

Women Make Movies - 462 Broadway #500 - New York - NY - 10013